DO YOU WANT TO SERVE YOUR COUNTRY??
DO YOU SINCERELY WANT OUR WORLD TO BE A BETTER PLACE?
If we truly want to serve our country and do what is best for this amazing country we live in, then it is our duty to get inside our heads and do some work! All war, all acts of terror, big and small, start with a thought. We have the power within ourselves to make the world a better place and the time is NOW! I see people blaming one president or another for all of this hate and violence. Seriously people, we cannot give one person sole responsibility for all of the thoughts and actions of the other 7 billion. There is something to be said for the collective consciousness. There are a whole lot of crazy thoughts swimming around in our brains, and if we don’t take the responsibility for sifting through them and getting to the bottom of our anger, rage, hate, fear, jealously, envy, etc., our world will continue to be chaotic, I promise you! There is no question the world is crazy as hell right now, and we as citizens have an obligation to dig deep inside and make the changes within ourselves! Things will only get better when we take a stand and transform the way we think!
We all arrive in this world as kind, loving human beings. No baby comes out of the womb hating. Unfortunately, throughout our lifetime, with even the best of parents, we hear messages from family, friends, teachers, coaches, television, internet, etc. that are untrue and do not belong to us, and we believe them. It’s human nature. But then we start to doubt ourselves, and some pretty negative self-reflections begin to appear in our mirror. And if we don’t love ourselves, it pretty difficult to love others. It’s our job as citizens to be the best version of ourselves, and in order to do that we have to go digging into our minds and figure out what is causing us all this pain and suffering. I’ll give you a hint…it’s not outside of ourselves! If we don’t get to the bottom of this stuff, we will continue to contribute to the chaos rather than the solution.
If you are truly committed to serving your country, here are some thoughts to get you started:
- Just breathe. Start a meditation practice, or at the very least give it a try. Don’t tell me you can’t do it! All you have to do is shut your eyes and focus on your breath. Thoughts will come in, go back to the breath. It’s that simple. I hear you saying you can’t sit still and shut your eyes because you’re too active or ADHD – well you shut your eyes when you sleep, so you can, end of story. Take 5-10 minutes a day and give yourself the gift of a peaceful mind. What’s more important than that? And, added bonus, you will feel amazing! Stop with all the excuses! If you want the world to be a better place, it starts with you! Here are a few links to check out some of the apps available that specialize in mediation (and some are free, what did I say about excuses!):
- Find a spiritual practice that resonates with you. This is the road that will get you where you want to go, all you have to do is take a step forward. There are so many amazing spiritual teachers out there that have had some crazy, difficult lives and have come out the other side better people because of their spiritual practice. Here is a list of the top 100 spiritual leaders in 2017 and some incredible videos to get you started:
I was fortunate after a very big loss in my life to find a book called The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron. It taught me to journal about my feelings every day which really helped to get the thoughts out of my head and onto paper. Before I found this book I was an angry, bitter, resentful person who blamed everything on everybody, except myself. I’m here to tell you, that is no way to live, and there is another way, I promise. Other influences I have been blessed to find on this spiritual path include my Kabbalah teacher, Moshe, Byron Katie, Dr. Wayne Dyer and my yoga teacher, Justin. This was my path; it doesn’t have to be yours, there is no one size fits all. Click on the link above and pick any one of the people on the list. Check them out; read their book, listen to them on YouTube. If what you learn resonates with you, listen and read more. If it doesn’t, click on another name and try again. Don’t give up, keep trying until you find somebody who speaks your language, somebody who gets you thinking “Ahhh, finally something that makes sense!” And remember, having a spiritual practice does not mean you have to give up your religion; it’s only meant to enhance your life, religion or no religion.
- Journal every day (see above). Write one paragraph a day about anything that comes to your mind. And nobody ever needs to see it, so get writing! You will feel so much better!
- Commit to yourself that you will no longer spew your negative, unsolicited thoughts on social media! There is no way in hell this is making our world a better place, it is only adding fuel to the fire! Nobody benefits from all this ranting online! I know you don’t want to contribute to the chaos! If you really want the world to be a better place – STOP IT! Post some cute puppies!
- Parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, teachers, neighbors: At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters to our kids is that they are loved! If they feel loved, they will not carry around the suitcase full of lies that we did and in turn…wait for it…the world will be a better place! They don’t need things, lectures, beatings or negative comments about what they are lacking and how they are failing to live up to your expectations! Your only job as a parent, or influence in a kid’s life, is to remind them that they are worthy and loved so that they can go out into the world and be loving human beings. This is how the world changes!
- Be of service. Being of service does not mean be broke (I used to think that). It means giving of yourself, your money, your time, your thoughts, your passion. It means stop thinking you are the only human being on this earth! If you look up from your phone for five minutes, you will notice that there are people everywhere who need help! Open the door for somebody, help somebody cross the street, look at a homeless person in the eyes and ask them how they are doing, and mean it, donate to those who are less fortunate, and there is always somebody less fortunate. If you don’t have money, give your time. There are lonely people everywhere, give them your ear, play a game with them, read a book to them, listen to music together – find time to give to another person. That is what will change the world!
We are incredibly fortunate to have an amazing group of men and women who serve our country in the armed forces, police, fire, etc. and I for one am eternally grateful! But, they cannot do it alone! We need to step up and do our part – we need to be warriors back here at home! We have the privilidge of living in the land of the free and the home of the brave, and if we are not free in our minds and brave in our hearts, we have nothing. We have a duty to our selves and our country to love ourselves again, and in turn love others, because that my friends is what will change the world!